Look who's endorsing Fan Fanatic Sports

"Fan Fanatic Sports is a really good up and coming site. It's a good source to get team information and a good way to check up on your favorite players."

--RON BRACE
New England Patriots
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Fan Fanatic Sports is your spot for up to date sports info for everything New England sports."

--RYAN DURAND
Tennessee Titans
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, March 25, 2010

I'm not crazy about the new OT rule in the NFL

By Chad Garner
Fan Fanatic Sports Staff
I gave it a day or so, but I'm still not a fan of the new overtime rule in the NFL.
Maybe I'm a traditionalist and I like the game how it is now? I don't know.
But what I do know is that this new rule is going to take me some time to get used to.
The new OT rule eliminates sudden death out of the equation, at least on the first possession when the team that gets the ball first in OT. If that teams kicks a field goal, they DO NOT win the game.
The opposing team gets a shot to score, and if they score a TD the game is over. If they kick a field goal, sudden death -- the team that scores first wins -- then takes effect.
So basically, the goal is to score a TD and the game is over.
Maybe the team that gets the ball first will be a tad more aggressive on its opening drive to put the game away right away? Or maybe the other team that trails by a field goal in OT will go for the home run and hit paydirt on a winning TD score? I'm thinking that coaching in OT will take on a whole new strategy, too.
Mind you, this rule is currently only for the postseason. Now does that really make any sense at all? Of course not. The NFL better vote this new rule in for the entire season. I mean, it's going to take all of us an entire 16-game schedule to learn this anyway. Probably the players, too.
Either way, what was really the matter with the OT rules how they were before?
Whoever scores first -- TD or field goal -- wins, no questions asked. Seemed pretty simple and cut and dry to me. And don't tell me the team that gets the ball first always wins. The stats that I've seen show the team that gets the ball first in OT only won 59 percent of the time.
I guess I can sit here and complain all I want, but it's not like I'm going to stop watching the NFL because of this new rule. I'll deal with it just like everyone else. The NFL is the best product out there, so maybe this new rule will be great for everyone?
I'm just not buying it right now.
Here's my OT plan: Each team gets the ball at their own 30-yard line (yes, they have to drive 70 yards for a TD) and they can either kick a FG, score a TD or turn the ball over on downs. Every 10 yards equals a first down. The other team gets the same shot -- starts at their own 30 -- and they must go for the 2-point conversion if they score a TD. Sort of like the college rules, only it's a lot further field to drive down and score.
Now that, to me, would be excitement.
But I still like the old way better.
Guess I'm a traditionalist.

1 comment:

  1. I really thought they would never change the rule for the simple fact that people weren't going to stop watching football because of its overtime system.

    ReplyDelete