Look who's endorsing Fan Fanatic Sports

"Fan Fanatic Sports is a really good up and coming site. It's a good source to get team information and a good way to check up on your favorite players."

--RON BRACE
New England Patriots
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Fan Fanatic Sports is your spot for up to date sports info for everything New England sports."

--RYAN DURAND
Tennessee Titans
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Celtics squeeze another one out, officially most fun team to watch this month

By Brendan Hall
Fan Fanatic Sports Staff


The late rapper Mac Dre once mused, "Get in where you fit. And if you don't fit, squeeze."

After last night's 92-88 comeback victory over Orlando, I think that's the best way we can sum up this year's Celtics squad. Not exactly healthy, not exactly deep, but man oh man can these fellas grind it out.

It takes resolve, focus, and toughness to rally from a 14-point deficit with nine minutes to go. After the way things ended in game four, you had the feeling the Magic were going to pull out some new schemes to slow Rondo and Co. down. For the most part, they were successful.

Over the last five minutes, though, things seemed to unravel. I'd like to take Dwight Howard's side and say there was no reason for Stan Van Gundy to sub in Rafer Alston and Rashard Lewis for Anthony Johnson and Tony Battie, but I can't. Why? Because when you build a lead like that with reserves, it's time to put your hottest five on the floor and throw a nail in the coffin.

(Not surprised, by the way, that somebody in that locker room has a problem with Van Gundy)

Really, this is more about the Celtics' resolve than Dwight Howard's choke down the stretch. The C's made big play after big play; the biggest? There's a ton to choose from, but I'm going with Rajon Rondo's rebound, followed by a toss off a Magic player's knee, with 10 seconds to go. The man only coupled his nine rebounds with six points and five assists, but I'm giving him the game ball.

True story...watched the game with a nice group of ladies at a pub near my house, and when Rondo makes that play, THE girl I'm with (emphasis on THE) yells, "Five Tommy Points!" Folks, keeper is spelled K-E-E-P-E-R.

This one's over. Bring on Cleveland, its gray skies, its lake that catches fire once a year, and its cheesy chalk dust.

A few more thoughts rolling off the tongue here:

-- Second game ball: Doc Rivers. Why? Mikki Moore and Tony Allen played a combined ZERO minutes.

-- Rut-roh, Tim Floyd. Still no word on whether the NCAA is going to drop the ban-hammer on USC football, though, and that's a crying shame.

-- Kenyon Martin's mother is understandably upset at Marc Cuban for his less-than-choice words to her Saturday night, but to grill Cuban for not apologizing sooner? Come on now, we're acting like this is the first time Martin's been called a "thug". Ever. Have we forgotten the whole "fan intimidation" debacle from two seasons ago THAT quickly?

Not saying, but just saying...

-- Lakers by 40? So what. I'm sticking by my pick. Rockets in 7. Trust me.

-- Forgive my shamelessness, but the Eddie House Face has allegedly caught on in Canton, West Barnstable and Merrimac, N.H. How do I know? BlackBerry Messenger, that's how.

-- P.S. on the shamelessness, yesterday afternoon was a historic day in my basketball career. Not since the 92-93 Westminster Biddy League season have I been this hot. Yesterday in my weekly pickup game in Dorchester, I nailed FOUR straight turnarounds, then I rebounded a fifth and sank it from the baseline (backboard angle, too). I don't know what came over me yesterday -- Vitamin Water, Thermo-Burst, or finally getting Julian Benbow to come out for a game -- but I've officially turned over a new leaf.

Dan Farrell 3-on-3 Tournament, you're next.

No comments:

Post a Comment